Thursday 4 November 2010

Forgiving and forgetting

In between buying fancy dress outfits, drinking too much and then tending to my hangover, an unpleasantly large chunk of my weekend was devoted to dealing with an ex-friend who has turned rather nasty.
I won’t go into the details here, mainly because just thinking about it puts me in danger of an anger-induced heart attack. But it got to me to thinking about how relationships (by which I mean friendships as much as relationships of the romantic kind) can break down in the most spectacular fashion.
Sometimes the reasons for those breakdowns are only too clear – and one or other of the parties involved is most definitely in the wrong (this always depends whose side you’re on of course).
But sometimes arguments can explode over the most trivial of matters. Ironically, sometimes the most ridiculous issues end up ruining a relationship forever, while I have spoken to women who have forgiven friends after the most terrible of betrayals (sleeping with their boyfriend being top of the list).
I suppose it depends on how strong the friendship was to begin with, and how understanding the individuals are able to be of human weaknesses. We all make mistakes after all... (not me, I was totally in the right)

No comments:

Post a Comment