Tuesday 16 November 2010

FAQs

The questions I get asked most frequently when talking over stories with clients are: “Will I have to be pictured?” and “Do you have to use my real name?” And the answer to both of these questions is yes.
That often seems to surprise people, but with real life features it’s essential that readers can really connect with the person telling the story.
When you start changing people’s names and blanking their faces out, or using models instead of real pictures, it distances the reader from the story.
I know that when I’m reading a magazine I always want to know what the people behind the story look like, how old they are, where they work, who their friends are... all the little details that help you build up a picture of what they’re really like.
Of course, some people aren’t keen on their names appearing in the national media, while others just don’t like having their pictures taken. Which is why we always make sure we talk over the process very carefully before we get to the stage of pitching ideas to editors.
There’s never any obligation to go ahead if the client decides it’s not for them, but I find most feel reassured when they know they will have the final article read back to them before it’s published, so they know exactly what’s going in. And they often get a professional photo-shoot with the magazine, so there’s no need to worry about unflattering photos!
And I never mind people asking lots of questions – in fact I welcome it. It means that they’re thinking everything through very carefully. Then I know, when I’ve answered all the questions, we’ll get the best possible feature from everyone’s point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment